The "Concert Venue" is an all-new podcast dedicated to the Chippewa Valley music scene, hosted by local musicians. This is the place to come to hear from those who make Eau Claire Music go.
Ben Peterson is a local drummer, born and raised in Eau Claire with 20 years of playing experience under
his belt. He came up through the Eau Claire public school system and participated in concert band,
marching band, jazz band, orchestra, show choir, and youth symphony as a young student at Eau Claire
He went on to play three years in the Blugold Marching Band before expanding to studio
sessions and work with several local bands.
A former student of UW-Eau Claire Associate Professor of Music (Emeritus) Ron Keezer and UW-Eau Claire Professor of Music Jeff Crowell, Peterson has performed in recent years with Orenda Fugue,
We’re Wolves, Caitlin McGarvey, Mars, Fathom, and Bri Murphy, among others.
Peterson is currently active with Orenda Fugue, an Eau Claire based progressive rock band that has
recently shared the stage with Puddle of Mudd, Sick Puppies, Devour the Day, Wayland, and Eve 6.
Alexander Vang has spent nearly two decades living in Eau Claire. Alex grew up in various US locales within the western half of the United States including residing in California, Nevada, and Minnesota before being firmly implanted in Eau Claire, Wisconsin for his academic career and beyond. It was here in Wisconsin that Alex would discover and foster his passion for singing and music performance.
Alex graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire with a Bachelor’s in Biology and the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a Masters in Biotechnology.
Alex has performed in the region for just over a decade while immersing himself in the dynamic and evolving music culture of Wisconsin. He has played in various outfits including The Blue Room, Orenda Fugue, Caitlin McGarvey, Bri Murphy, and Ghosts of the Sun. Alex is currently active with Orenda Fugue and Ghosts of the Sun.
Alex and Ben, two local members of the music industry, discuss what it takes and the pitfalls associated with making music your career. They'd be the first to admit they don't have all the answers but they've seen things that work and things that don't.
We hear artists and musicians talk about the "creative process" but what does it mean exactly? The guys behind the local band Orenda Fugue come together to discuss what it means to them. Not only as a group but also to them as individuals.
Ben and Alex talk with well-known Chippewa Valley musician Jim Pullman, who is releasing a new solo project "Go On, Boldly"
- You get to hear a sample from the title track of the new album
- Jim takes us through his career and the start of the "Jim Pullman Band"
- Some of Jim's favorite albums and songs
- What is "Stump the Pullman"
- Some memories from the former "House of Rock"
- Some of the background to the writing and making to this upcoming album
- The meaning behind a few of the songs
EPISODE with Alex Thoms
The musically diverse and versatile Adam Thoms is the guest on this episode and is on the program to discuss the importance of being exposed to a variety of instruments and disciplines. Adam is all over the local music scene both as a performer but also as a popular instructor.
Ben and Alex discuss how trying a variety of instruments and being exposed to different music genres has influenced their overall music.
They also play a clip from Adam's new song "Keep it Breathing"
- Adam describes his musical upbringing in Eau Claire, from coming through the various band programs in the school system to playing the coffeeshop scene.
- How one of his goals was achieved by playing at Eau Claire Jazz Fest.
- Why he dives into so many different music projects and learning so many genres
- It's not a real tour unless you go to...Texas?!?! Find out why this comes up. And using a flip phone to book gigs.
- His future planned projects including a live stream coming up.